[OSGeo-Discuss] Comparision between MapServer/OpenLayers and ESRI ArcIMS

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Tue May 26 23:08:40 EDT 2009

I've dealt with this question before but not quite with those
specifics.  Actually, I've had these issues from a different angle:
people who already have the ESRI suite because their larger company or
government agency purchased an ESRI enterprise license yet they were
looking at open source as a serious option.

Hopefully some of this can help...

My first thought is that a current ESRI solution would be based on
ArcGIS Server rather than ArcIMS.  ArcIMS is basically gone (the 2008
Dev Summit had ZERO tech sessions on ArcIMS but did have a few migration
to ArcGIS server topics.  On the current ESRI support site for ArcIMS
life cycle, they do NOT mention a 9.4 release (current is 9.3.1)
although they do for ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server.  The ArcIMS Data
Delivery Extension is not being sold any more.  ArcIMS could do basic
clip-n-ship using the Extract Server but that is only available using
the old AXL image services and NOT the ArcMap services.    I've heard
trusted rumors (from some ESRI staff at tech shows and conferences) that
ArcGIS Server is where ESRI has been putting all their energy for the
past few years.

ArcGIS Server (AGS) costs quite a bit, up to 4 cores it's about $32K -
$40K per server for the advanced, enterprise level.    This Advanced
version includes the 3D, Spatial, Network and Geostatistical extenions.
It does not include the Data Interoperability extension (based on FME
Safe and typically used for data ETL tasks) or the Image Server
extension (used for real-time display of rasters in various bands and
combinations, like NDVI)   Extensions are about 4K - 8K each.

The "Enterprise" licenses mean it includes more features plus ArcSDE for
major RDBMS like Oracle SQL Server.  The "Workgroup" version includes a
limited ArcSDE for Workgroups.  Enterprise ArcSDE (and therefore
Enterprise ArcGIS Server) is almost *required* for anything data
delivery system greater than a few GB and especially if web based.

For more pricing, here are a few I found...

https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/  (search for "arcgis server")
http://www.eyaktek.com/public/ESRI%20Catalog%2006-20-08.xls
http://www.esri.com/partners/hardware/ibm-advanced-enterprise.pdf

For data processing and delivery, like LIDAR processing and anything
that would result from a model, is typically done either 1) via Model
Builder, python scripts in the ArcMap MXD document (typically unstable),
or 2) via ArcObjects coding through the NET or Java APIs (the Interface
OO programming is difficult to learn).  Recently, quite a lot is done
through ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap.)  ArcCatalog is used to fully manage
AGS.  There is a web application for managing AGS but it can't do
everything that ArcCatalog can do, critical things like map caching.
(at least that was the case in 9.2.)   So, yes, you'll need quite a few
ArcGIS Desktops.

You'll need ArcEditor (~$5K) versions for writing to ArcSDE.  You'll
need ArcInfo level (~$14K) for creating the models to be processed in
AGS.   This does not include desktop extensions which run about $2.5K
each.  Plus, many advanced feature of AGS (that you see in demos or
brochures) are only accessible via thick AGS clients like ArcGIS DEsktop
or ArcGIS Explorer.  Remember the initial primary purpose for AGS was
was a desktop GIS server, like a replacement for the old ArcInfo 7x
geoprocessing server.  It was to push centralized GIS processing,
editing, mobile checkin/checkout, geocoding, etc...   Traditional web
applications (replacement for ArcIMS) came later.

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware
227 Academy St, Newark DE 19716-7501
Tel: (302) 831-3584  Email: john.callahan at udel.edu
http://www.dgs.udel.edu