[OSGeo-Discuss] "Open Source Approaches in Spatial Data Handling" - Springer "Advances in GIS series"

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 07:05:36 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Nikos Alexandris
<nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> G. Allegri wrote:
>> Open Source Approaches in Spatial Data Handling - Springer Advances in
>> GIS series
>> http://www.springer.com/series/7712?cm_mmc=other-_-Enews-_-PSE12813_V1-_-77
>> 12
>
> Hi!
>
> I have bought last year the (me thinks it is) 1st book of the series [1]. I
> liked the book and I would recommend it. Yet, one thing I want to note: in my
> humble opinion, it was/is very expensive [for my (still-)student pocket!]:
>>100.-EU for <300 pages.
>
> It seems (to me) the book is targeting (only) open source advocates, people
> who don't have problem spending such amounts and/or libraries.

It is the perennial problem of academic publications, the publisher
makes them expensive because they won't sell many copies and they
don't sell many copies because they are expensive. :-( This is
especially annoying as the authors give them the text for free.

Ian
--
Ian Turton