[OSGeo-Discuss] How OSGeo helps you?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 9 12:10:29 EST 2010

Hi all,
I'm working on responding to some questions relating to our 501c3
application with US govt and would really like your opinion, stories,
examples to make sure I hit the nail on the head.

I'd like to describe two aspects of what OSGeo does and how it helps the
public.  In particular relating to education and to charitable
activities.  I know how I'd answer, but what about you?

1. In what areas/topics/information do we teach to new users or educate
the public in general?  Basically, what is the 'content' of our
education endeavours?

2. How does OSGeo provide a charitable benefit to the public?  Don't
link it directly back to education, but think about how our features,
abilities and products get used to benefit the public.  Take it beyond
just having free access to software generally, and share in particular
the charitable ways it helps the public (charitable as in helps people,
the world, etc. not as in just being free).

Yes, somewhat vague questions, but I really want them to know the
details about these not just a cursory mention of our workshops and our
no-cost software :)

I only have a day or two to get my answers together, but a longer thread
is also welcomed to help share your perspective.

Take care,
Tyler