[OSGeo-Discuss] Greek Inspire Metadata Editor (gimed)

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 16:37:48 PDT 2010

  Hi Cameron,

Those software you mention are far more advanced and mature, I agree
with you.
I can also add MDWeb to the list as a great metadata/catalog software
(http://www.mdweb-project.org/)
I provide some answers below:

On 11/06/2010 09:33 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Angelos,
> I'm interested to understand why someone would use gimed instead of
> GeoNetwork (the currently established Metadata editor)?
- In Europe, people not familiar with open source software have been
using the JRC Web Inspire Metadata Editor
(http://www.inspire-geoportal.eu/index.cfm/pageid/342) for a long time
to achieve conformity with Inspire metadata specification (that requires
a bit different validation than ISO-19115,e.g. different mandatory
fields). Due to this fact, gimed provides an almost identical user
interface to this web application , so simple users can use it very quickly.
- Until recently, Inspire specifications were not included in
GeoNetwork. This has been included only recently with version 2.6 and is
very promising.

> What does gimed provide above GeoNetwork?

- Gimed has a goal that is not yet clear (because I have to do a lot of
work). I want it to be a batch processing engine. Using scripts I was
able to complete the first inspire tender in Greece (HEMCO - Hellenic
Mapping and Cadastral Organization) generating almost automatically
450000 xml files for aerial photographs of the organization. I need now
to provide a more useful GUI in order for this to be demonstrated. The
goal is for the user to be able to import 1 million data files and for
gimed to create automatically the geographic bounding box. Then gimed
should create xml files massively (one xml per data file) while the user
has to use the keyboard once for common metadata fields.
- It will not include a catalog service or any kind of web application
(unless someone does that and lets us know).

> Why was gimed developed rather than extending GeoNetwork?
- When developing for HEMCO project, the time frame was very limited and
I estimated that a clean implementation would be faster.
- The project's specifications were also requiring C# because other non
FOSS API's were involved.

> Could gimed be incorporated into GeoNetwork?
- For such an integration, it has to be ported to Java, right? I am
trying to find time to do this, but I would prefer to complete the
functionality that I have in mind first.
-Any volunteers to help?

Best regards,
Angelos