[OSGeo-Discuss] Support of 4D (time based) data sets

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 06:16:17 EDT 2010

Hi Timmie,

> I am investigating in using netcdf as data format that could integrate the time
> dimension into GIS.
> The NASA tool Panoply (http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/panoply/) does this quite
> nicely.

I think it doesn't if you have small local datasets, I have never been
able to zoom in.

> I have seen that there was an initiative from uDig in GSoC 2009:
> Getting time into the GIS for visualization and modeling puposes: netcdf support
> in uDig by Andrea Antonello
> http://jgrass.wiki.software.bz.it/jgrass/weekly_reports
>
> So my question:
> * has above mentioned development for netcdf support landed in uDig main code?

Sadly not yet. But there is more sadness to it. The code lives in
JGrass and the current uDig version has a library mismatch that
doesn't make the use of netcdf from JGrass possible. We are planning
to solve this for the 1.2.1 release of uDig, but there is no strict
timeline for that right now.
Anyways the netcdf part in JGrass is actively maintained and you can
indeed browse the maps through time, as well as the non-map parts
(http://jgrasstechtips.blogspot.com/2010/01/netcdf-in-jgrass-non-spatial-part.html).
I already had some requests in the uDig and JGrass lists to solve the
problem, I will as soon as possible.

Ciao,
Andrea