[OSGeo-Discuss] Board elections Voting

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Wed Jul 25 10:24:09 PDT 2012

HI,
my 2 cents to the discussion...

I like the Stefano idea [1] where people can assign preferences and even
understanding
possible practical issues on changing the rules on the "fly", i believe
that if the proposal
of changing the rules meet a large consensum, it may worth to be applied.

Maxi

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Charles Schweik
<cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Dimitris Kotzinos <kotzino at csd.uoc.gr>
> wrote:
>
> > I think we need first to search a bit deeper on what exactly this means,
> > e.g. do we prefer someone on the board that is voted by 8 people or
> someone
> > strongly supported by one person with 8 votes? Of course this is an
> extreme
> > case scenario but demonstrates in my view that at least some more
> > consideration is needed ...
>
> My wife is an academic who studies and teaches about nonprofit
> management and governance issues.
> I'm certain there is some literature "out there" on various approaches
> to board election voting rules. I'll see if I can find any that
> might be informative.
>
> Charlie Schweik
>
> Associate Professor
> University of Massachusetts, Amherst
>
> Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software Commons (MIT
> Press, 2012) - see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545
> Outsmart Invasive Species project: http://masswoods.net/outsmart

Dr. Eng. Massimiliano Cannata
Responsabile Area Geomatica
Istituto Scienze della Terra
Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
Via Trevano, c.p. 72
CH-6952 Canobbio-Lugano
Tel: +41 (0)58 666 62 14
Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09