[OSGeo-Discuss] The importance of a project's license

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Fri Jul 27 20:44:40 PDT 2012

On 27 July 2012 18:43, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Andrew Ross <andrew.ross at eclipse.org>
> wrote:
> > A project can decide what makes the most sense for them.
>
> Note that for long-term projects a license change
> is rather difficult to realize (especially if older contributors
> are no longer traceable..).
>
> Markus

Markus,

Agreed. This is one of many reasons why this discussion is so important,
even if we'd rather be drinking beer. ;-)

If you think you might ever consider re-licensing your project, then it's
not a bad idea to consider contribution agreements. They can make the
process to re-license, should you ever decide to, a lot less pain & effort.

I hope that it isn't lost in the discussion that it really isn't about a
given license winning or dying even if that's interesting to data junkies
like us. It's about the project's goals, and hopefully reducing friction
towards achieving them.

Andrew