[OSGeo-Discuss] Current Charter Nominations (was: Re: The vote versus the bylaws [was: End the vote!])

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Thu Jul 18 01:46:52 PDT 2013

On 18.07.2013 09:52, Pedro-Juan Ferrer Matoses wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Adrian Custer <acuster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 4) there is no need for a 'second'
>

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick note.
>
> It is true that there is no need for a «second» but I think that is a
> good practice because in a couple of days we should be facing the
> decision of giving our votes to people that in some cases are perfect
> strangers to us, but that are important to the community.
>
> If someone that I Know Well seconds a candidature I assume that the
> person I Know Well knows well the work of the candidate and hence I
> know that the candidate deserves some of my votes.
>
> It may not be something have written on the bylaws, but probably it
> would be a good idea to have this explained elsewhere.
>
> Bests,
>
> --
> Pedro-Juan Ferrer Matoses
> Valencia (España)

Pedro,
I second this.

:-)

Fun aside I think that you have a good point here. One major problem of
how we grow Charter Membership is that we are sort of limited to the
existing family. But in our mission we state that we want to be home for
the broadest representation of open source geospatial. And as you say
sometimes it helps to know that someone we trust
seconds/endorses/supports a new nominee.

Just for the stats, we currently have 31 nominees coming from 22
different countries in the world - which is pretty good. But we still
completely lack some regions. There is not a single new nominee from
Africa. If we had one probably none of the existing members would know
them. Which is why it is so important that we get someone to
endorse/second/support nominations.

Please note: Nomination runs until the end of this week 2013-07-23.

Here the current listing:

1 Australia
1 Austria
1 Brazil
1 Finland
2 France
5 Germany
1 Greece
1 India
1 Italy
3 Japan
1 Korea
1 Malaysia
1 Poland
1 Romania
1 Russia
2 Spain
1 Sri Lanka
1 Thailand
1 The Netherlands
1 United Kingdom
1 Uruguay
2 USA

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2013

Best regards,
Arnulf

--
Arnulf Christl (Executive Director)
Open Source Geospatial Software, Data and Services