[OSGeo-Discuss] Short codes for locations

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:10:51 PDT 2014

Or MapCode: http://www.mapcode.com/ . It's already embedded in TomTom
systems; however, it is open. Only the master grid database is
controlled centrally by a foundation.

There's definitely a place for a non-coordinate-based place identifier,
especially for the large proportion of the world's population without
formal addresses. It'll be interesting to see what emerges. I've been
thinking a mapcode plugin for QGIS would be a nice idea...

On 29/10/2014 23:00, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Daniel Morissette
> <dmorissette at mapgears.com <mailto:dmorissette at mapgears.com>> wrote:
>
>     This sounds very much like the Natural Area Coding (NAC) system:
>
>     http://www.nacgeo.com/
>
>     Interesting idea in theory, but in practice this has been around for
>     over a decade and hasn't really taken off, quite likely because an
>     alphanumerical code is not of much more use than pure geographic
>     coordinates.
>
>     Or maybe it's like the case of "rasters in a database" [1] and this
>     concept just needs a strong champion to sell us the idea and convince
>     the world that we need it?
>

>  Or possibly because of non-open licensing terms?
>
> http://www.nacgeo.com/nacsite/licensing/
>
>  I think I have seen some web services teaming up with What3Words
> which does a similar thing except translates coords to a word triple
> via a proprietary, secret, server-based algorithm. Its cutesy nature
> ("I live at monkey sponge gearstick") seems to appeal to many since it
> makes memorable locations.
>
> Anyhooo...
>

>     Daniel
>
>     [1]
>     http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-October/013569.html
>
>     On 14-10-29 3:53 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>     > Hi Doug,
>     > An interesting and potentially useful concept.
>     > It sounds like you are proposing a spatial standard. Have you
>     approached
>     > the Open Geospatial Consortium about getting the standard endorsed?
>     >
>     > With regards to any code which you wish to produce and open
>     source, I
>     > suggest considering bringing it under the umbrella of the Open
>     Source
>     > Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo).
>     > Details about OSGeo incubation here:
>     > http://www.osgeo.org/incubator
>     >
>     >
>     > On 30/10/2014 1:08 am, Doug Rinckes wrote:
>     >> I'm an engineer at Google, and I have just open sourced a geo
>     project
>     >> we've been working on for a while.
>     >>
>     >> I used to work on our maps, detecting missing road networks and
>     in my
>     >> spare time mapping roads in Papua New Guinea, Central and West
>     Africa
>     >> from the satellite imagery. But without street names or
>     addresses, a
>     >> road network isn't all that useful. People can't use it for
>     >> directions, because they can't express where they want
>     directions to.
>     >> After talking with colleagues from around the world, I discovered
>     >> that's it actually very common for streets to be unnamed.
>     >>
>     >> We thought that we should provide short codes that could be
>     used like
> [...]

Gavin Fleming
t: 0218620670
w: 0218630660