[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct in Real Case

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jun 25 00:48:02 PDT 2015

On 06/25/15 09:26, Pat Tressel wrote:
> The conversation has gone on to the question of diversity in STEM fields, but
> if I can return to the original presentation for a moment...
>
> Perhaps we could look at it from a different perspective, namely, that of
> marketing and branding.  Is this an effective advertisement?  Does it
> accomplish the intended purpose?  (Full disclosure:  I'm not a professional,
> though I have worked for an advertising placement company.  I am, however,
> very much a fan of good advertising and follow industry news.)
>
> Let's say we don't know what the purpose is.  What can we extract from the
> presentation itself?  The majority of the presentation is selling "other
> reasons" to attend FOSS4G 2015 besides the content of the conference itself.
> A significant portion advertises travel to Seoul, and includes traditional
> travel themes -- culture, entertainment, food, sights.  Another has the
> feeling of a business development promotion.  Another portion emphasizes
> interaction with other attendees, and especially fun interaction.
>
> What can we infer about the intended audience?  With the exception of the
> three elements discussed in this thread, the presentation appears neutral.
> The Dali image, Girls' Generation, and multiple images of alcoholic beverages
> are elements that would appear intended to appeal to a specific demographic,
> unmarried men below middle-age.

no, plainly wrong.

> (Girls Generation is a group assembled by SM Entertainment, whose founder says
> the group is intended to appeal to men aged 30-40.

this is not something to generalize to art and beer (combination tentative).

> However, they now have a significant female fan base in Japan.)

so statement above proven wrong.

> Next, how effective is it?  The presentation does not appear intended to stand
> on its own.  I'm assuming that these slides were used with a verbal
> presentation?  For instance, as others have noted, the meaning of the Dali
> image sequence is obscure -- it does not work without explanation.  To make it
> work without a verbal pitch, ask, for each section, does the lead-in slide
> adequately establish what is being promoted in that section?  And for each
> slide, ask, does this need a better caption?
>
> Given that this is promoting attendance based on things that are not part of
> the conference itself, it would be good to make that explicit right in the
> first slide.  If it's intended to also promote the conference program, that
> might work better as a separate presentation, rather than trying to glue it
> onto this one.
>
> If the three elements in question would be off-putting to some potential
> attendees, it would be easy to replace at least the Dali image and the beer
> images.  Note in a professional advertising campaign, the question would not
> be, can we get away with this? but rather, is it possible that this will turn
> away potential customers in our intended demographic, or could this in any way
> diminish our brand or cause a negative reaction?  So *if* the question of
> offense comes up at all, then that would trigger fixing that part of the
> advertisement.
>
> I gather the point of the Dali sequence is to say that something can appear as
> one thing from afar, and otherwise close up.  Perhaps use a photo mosaic image
> instead?  (These are images constructed of many small images.)  The beer
> images are jarring not so much because they feature alcohol, but because there
> are so many of them -- they are out of proportion to any other type of image.
> I'd recommend dropping slides 37-41 and keeping only 42 (which is a better
> image than 41).  Similarly, for the food images (the second longest sequence),
> instead of multiple slides, tile them into one slide.

see my recent post about Beckmesser.

> The Girls Generation picture is more problematic, because they are a
> legitimate and popular group.  Two things were jarring to me.  First, that was
> the *only* "culture" image.  There are other aspects to Seoul culture besides
> K-pop.  A montage of several images showing a range of cultural aspects would
> de-emphasize the "sex" aspect.  Second, with the exception of the Dali image,
> the appearance of a "sexy" image was unexpected.  Note that part of the
> problem is that not many people outside of Asia will recognize Girls
> Generation -- they will just see young women in provocative dress and poses.
> (For contrast, ~everyone on the planet would recognize Psy.)
>
> Finally, please don't be offended, but, it would also be good to get advice
> from a graphic designer, and also have someone proofread the text.

diversity - can we accept that non-English-natives have typos on their slides?

Let me suggest to establish an OSGeo Committee of Censorship (CoC) to formalize
all the criticism.

-Peter

Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)