[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo sponsors ?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Oct 14 07:28:36 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-14 10:49 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> The tone was "suprised" and "disappointed".
>
> Does advertising proprietary software solutions
> on OSGeo website count as "championing" for its cause ?
> I wouldn't expect that from my Open Source Compass.
>
> Or am I being misleaded by the lack of info on the net about
> the software names found on that osgeo page ?
>
> --strk;

Hi Sandro,

Again I am trying to read your tone in your e-mail.  I believe you are
now not questioning the accuracy of the list of sponsors on
http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html but I believe you
are now questioning that we/OSGeo can accept funds from private
companies (am I correct in reading your message?).

OSGeo and its yearly event FOSS4G does accept funding from proprietary
software companies, yes you are correct.  In fact, this is not written
anywhere or spoken of, but the OSGeo foundation was originally provided
a large amount of funding from Autodesk back in 2006, to help create the
foundation (I believe that funding was renewed for several years after
2006 as well).  We/OSGeo actually owe a lot to the vision and
helpfulness of Autodesk, from those early actions (quite similar to how
the OGC was formed out of the GRASS foundation, in a way).

So, if you're looking to get into a big discussion on accepting money
from proprietary software companies, we must first look into the mirror
and realize where we came from.

Regarding your disappointed reaction, again I will say that you can dive
in and help if you wish, help attracting sponsors for the OSGeo
foundation (this is what I meant by "championing").

-jeff