[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo guidelines for code hosting ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sun Oct 18 04:44:04 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 01:34:57PM +0300, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:

> It is true that GitHub is not Free Software, so IMO we should not be
> depending on it. I see the ethical issues that arise from using a
> non Free provider and it is not the only case in our ecosystem eg.
> Transifex used to be Free Software and it is not anymore:
>
> https://github.com/transifex/transifex/issues/206
> https://github.com/tymofij/transifex/pull/1#issuecomment-14206884

Thanks for the pointers, Angelos.
I think this shows pretty clearly what the risk is when relying
on external services. Transifex was GPL at the time we decided
to move the code there. I hoped OSGeo would setup a translation
infrastructure back then too (~2012) but nothing came out of it:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2012-October/022234.html

Now the cost of that choice would be that of asking all translators
to create new accounts elsewhere, if we want to move away of
transifex.com:
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3339

--strk;