[OSGeo-Discuss] FW: code of conduct: another real case

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 18:19:21 PDT 2015

Hi Cameron,

I was very surprised to see the email below. It seems to me that the issue
may just be a simple misunderstanding by someone, not a deliberate act of
sabotage.

I'll add some comments as the OSGeo Incubation Mentor for the Rasdaman
project:

Thanks for digging out the reference at [1]. That is indeed that latest
formal advice that has been provided on incubation.

Since then Peter and I have been in private discussion as to how we can
move this forward and have agreed on a joint approach.

Both Peter and my spare time is very limited however and this is causing
delays:

   - In addition to his day job, Peter is doing invaluable work extending
   open spatial standards within OGC and W3C forums; and
   - I'm similarly busy in a new role, team and large project, together
   with commitments to WMO, OGC and W3C.

Consequently our volunteer time is scarce and this inevitably causes delays.

Peter and I believe that Rasdaman is ready for graduation from Incubation.

However, Peter and I need to ensure that we adequately describe why we
believe this, as per the advice at [1].

Regarding the OSGeo Incubation Process:

   - I can appreciate the frustration that Peter is obviously experiencing.
   I can see this developing within gvSIG as well;
   - We may wish to look at our graduation process. It is currently quite
   subjective in many places and open to interpretation by the Incubation
   Committee members. I can see that the same project could conceivably
   graduate or not, depending on who is a member of the committee at the time
   of the application.
   - I do not see that Rasdaman has been unfairly singled out in its
   graduation attempt and stand by my comments at [1];
   - I'm seeing similar Incubation Committee comments in the gvSIG
   Graduation process to those that were provided on Rasdaman's first attempt
   at graduation;
   - Personally I think that a key issue that affects both gvSIG and
   Rasdaman relates to commercial involvement with the projects and open
   decision making processes. Daniel Morrissette, Evan Rouault and yourself
   summarised this issue well in the thread at [2]. We still don't have this
   right within the Rasdaman Community, but we are heading in the right
   direction and there is a definite willingness to address the issue; and
   - The Rasdaman view of the OSGeo relationship may be found at [3]. There
   are some valid criticisms of the process, together with some selectively
   edited excerpts from emails, e.g. the update on 2015-09-14 update
   references a private email between myself and Peter, where I forwarded the
   email thread at [2] with the covering text

   - "This is something that we'll need to work on before we put Rasdaman up
      for graduation again.

      I'm still buried in my priority task, so I have not had time to look
      at
      incubation issues yet. Sorry."

Regarding the Rasdaman Intellectual Property issue:

   - I believe that Peter may be referring to the comment at [3] dated
   2015-07-25.

   - I have no knowledge of how this eventuated, however I'd make the
   observation that it could be seen as being a badge of honour to be
   classified as an OSGeo Project. That was the reason for the OSGeo
   application in the first place, wasn't it? So I'm not sure what the actual
   issue is here and will wait for Peter's comment;

   - From my view as a layman, the IP in the Rasdaman source code clearly
   rests with Peter Baumann and Rasdaman GmbH as per:
      - The Rasdaman License as described at [4];
      - The Rasdaman Contributer agreement as described at [5]; and
      - The Rasdaman Copywrite header as described at [6].

   - Therefore, I don't see that there is anything to give back with
   regards to the ownership of the software. I will make the observation
   though, that as the software is licensed under GPL and L/GPL that it is
   possible for anyone to fork the software.

@Peter,

What have I missed?

On re-reading your post, I suspect that you may be referring to control of
the Rasdaman Project's OpenHub Project repository and that is what you
would like to be given back.

On a personal note:

Over the five plus years that I have been involved with Rasdaman as the
OSGeo Project Mentor, I have learned a lot from the Incubation Process and
admire what Peter and the Rasdaman Community have achieved. This project
and software has incredible potential and is a credit to all involved.

I would be sorry to see Rasdaman leave the OSGeo fold, particularly if the
cause is a misunderstanding.

Bruce

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2015-April/002695.html

[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2015-September/002787.html