[Incubator] gvSIG project graduation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 03:31:36 PDT 2015

I agree with Daniel, Jody and Evan's comments.
1. Major decisions should be documented in an publicly visible archive
as a minimum, preferably with links to discussion (such as chat logs or
email list threads).
2. The decision making process should be documented, and be open to
community participation (such as through a PSC or similar)

On 11/09/2015 12:44 am, Even Rouault wrote:
> [...]
>>> URL. For example, the link
>>> (<https://docs.gvsig.org/web/working-groups/organizacion>https://gvsig.or
>>> g/web/working-groups/organizacion)would be:
>>>
>>> <http://docs.gvsig.org/web/working-groups/organizacion>http://docs.gvsig.
>>> org/web/working-groups/organizacion
>>>
>>> With the advance of the project we have been correcting issues that we
>>> think they make us to be more efficient. Efficient in the meaning of
>>> eliminating the bureaucratic parts and speed up the decision making. It
>>> has also been possible, in a big part, thank to the professional
>>> structure of the project who works daily for the project. It can be
>>> different to other projects. It makes that the day-to-day decisions can
>>> be made by people of the professional structure (there's an architecture
>>> and development manager, and a product manager). The efficacy has been
>>> notable, and having a meeting every week to make small decisions didn't
>>> make as much as sense. It is thank to the professional structure that
>>> can dedicate all the time to gvSIG.
>>>
>>> And the TSC, that is composed of the main developers that are working on
>>> gvSIG, has a meeting after every final version in order to make
>>> decisions for the next version. Currently it is planned to release 2
>>> versions per year (one version in May and another one in December),
>>> although this year it has been an exception because we will release
>>> three versions (gvSIG 2.3 will be released in December). At that meeting
>>> it is decided what to work on for the next version. For example, for
>>> gvSIG 2.3, the next version, it's panned to make the effort to have a
>>> first distribution for MAC OS X and Windows 64 bits. It involves to
>>> change libraries for raster accessing and projections mainly... and we
>>> are working on it now.
>>>
>>> And instead of having proceedings, we preferred to advance one more step
>>> and publish the decisions publicly, because the proceedings are not read
>>> by a lot of people. Concretely in our blog. At this way, following the
>>> example of gvSIG 2.3, we announced that decision (this is the link in
>>> English but it was published in Spanish too):
>>>
>>> <http://blog.gvsig.org/2015/06/25/on-the-road-to-gvsig-2-3/>http://blog.g
>>> vsig.org/2015/06/25/on-the-road-to-gvsig-2-3/
>>>
>>> Of course it doesn't mean that gvSIG includes only these changes. We
>>> have to include all the possible functionalities developed by the
>>> community that are integrated with that version (but it's out of the
>>> initial planning and the gvSIG scope of decision).
>>>
>>> And there's also some decisions about some objectives at these meetings
>>> that are not carried out at the next version. It is listed at the gvSIG
>>> redmine, at the “whislist” option -the access to this list is also
>>> public-:
>>>
>>> <https://redmine.gvsig.net/redmine/projects/gvsig-desktop/issues?utf8=%3F
>>> &set_filter=1&f[]=status_id&op[status_id]=o&f[]=tracker_id&op[tracker_id]
>>> =%3D&v[tracker_id][]=11&f[]=&c[]=tracker&c[]=status&c[]=priority&c[]=subj
>>> mine/projects/gvsig-desktop/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&f[]=status