[Incubator] gvSIG project graduation

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 08:10:05 PDT 2015

An open process is very important - for exactly the reasons specified.

I expect a balance can be arranged, there is a difference between
resourcing staff, project management and decision making after all.

We should also be clear we are talking about strategic project direction
decisions here, not day to day resourcing on who works with what.

As an example GeoServer maintains a change control procedure (open), Skype
meetings a couple times a month (open for anyone to attend and the minuets
sent to the mailing list). These are all about the project and
communication.

Boundless (for example) may have several agile teams working on RnD or for
our customers. When one of these teams ends up working on an open source
project the proposals/procedures/meetings show up as activities for the
project manager to resource for however many sprints are required.

Other organizations working on GeoServer may be contract driven, and I
trust those contracts include line items for the public communication
required to get the job done (and the docs and QA needed for a feature to
be included in the project). Indeed we introduced "proposals" in part to
get a sanity check and reduce the risk for those working on short term
contracts.