[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo is the host of FOSS4G not a guest

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Mon Jul 3 07:19:29 PDT 2017

Massimiliano - I have no doubt you are sending the emails for the right
reason - BUT - to do this only 40 days out and call for a vote from the
OSGEO board is disheartening. It is for me - This should have been a
discussion for post-Boston - Not now. At least do it off channel with
Michael and Guido before calling for a vote. For me to see this
discussion start this close to the conference made me sigh - this is my
first FOSS4G international conference and I am beyond excited and want
all to be. Your original email  cast a cloud (though not intentional)
over the work that Boston has done.

It is not unheard of for a organization that owns the conference to be a
sponsor (at least here in the US). The longest running conference I
attend - Georgia URISA   - does this every year. Not only do we fund it
- we also pay for a booth because of paperwork. It's is important for
Advertising purposes. It is important for us to interface to the
attendees. It is important for us to share our story.

I wished the OSGEO presence at the North America conference was as
strong as what is being shown at Boston. OSGEO has a great story to tell
- take every opportunity you can to spread the good word be it as a
sponsor, owner, or person with a sign discussing climate change.

I wish all of you a great FOSS4G 2017 conference.

Randy

Randal Hale
rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
https://www.northrivergeographic.com