[OSGeo-Discuss] legal aspects of QGIS plugins

Thomas Baumann baumann.th at gmx.de
Mon Mar 6 12:26:45 PST 2017

Dear all,

I have a question concerning the legal aspects of QGIS plugins:

Some time ago there was a question on gis.stackexchange about how to
generate equal sized polygons along a line:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/173127/generating-equal-sized-polygons-along-line-with-pyqgis

As I needed the functionality,too I wrote a QGIS plugin for myself
which uses the logic provided in the answers.

Now i would like to give others the opportunity to use this
plugin,too, but don't know if ESRI has some sort of Intellectual
Property for a tool like this.

There is the ESRI tool "Creating strip map index features"

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/map/page-layouts/creating-strip-map-index-features.htm

I guess in general there are a lot of tools that are available in ESRI
products as well as in other OpenSource GIS solutions like gvSIG,
OpenJump or QGIS
(buffer, dissolve and so on).

I just want to make sure that it's ok to publish a QGIS plugin like mine.

So my question is: Can you tell me if a QGIS plugin which creates
polygons along a line
(as the ESRI strip map index feature tool does) would violate ESRI's
intelletual properties?

best wishes,

Thomas