[OSGeo-Discuss] legal aspects of QGIS plugins

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 23:56:51 PST 2017

Hi Thomas,

IMHO this is ja an applied usage of known spatial functions and algorithms.
So my opinion is that there is no violation of "intelectual property".
I mean if it would be possible to patent those "common" things nothing
would be allowed and even other commercial GIS products could not
implement it.
And the main question is - who did it first? ;).
As far as I see ESRI is only (very well) documenting common practise,
but that does not necessarily mean that they invented it or do have
any property on it.

Thats my 2c (with thanks to ESRI for the documentation)

Looking forward to your (also well documented? ;) ) plugin

kind regards
Werner