[OSGeo-Discuss] Is it possible for proprietary GIS vendor to market their proprietary product as Open ?

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 22 20:08:48 PDT 2017

There is CopyLeft which is the purest form of ‘open source’
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

Then there is the ‘Cathedral and the Bazaar’ [essay] for a considering how process-and-chaos vie as community reaches for fruition.

To my mind, the ‘core’ platforms for communication must be CopyLeft. We need to maximize the essentials for exchange of ideas, our franca lingua.

But, like Jody suggests, value-added should be free to be open ^or^ proprietary. But, but with ‘open’ always able to challenge ‘proprietary’ for true value-added.

Our world needs both, open and proprietary, with ability for ‘open’ to challenge ‘proprietary’ never to be compromised. In this way we can unleash small and medium enterprise to all kinds of spectacular and innovative solutions.

Caveat: For our collective intellect to accelerate at the speed of enlightenment, we need maximum and fully open education for every kid on this planet. That is if we care enough to invest in our greatest natural resource, our children. Not to mention a beautifully ‘open’ tomorrow for ourselves, as oldies but goodies. ;-)

For a light-hearted semordnilap, there is no nepo-tism in open!

As for the Android Tower of Babel, how to fix? Would CopyLeft have forced a more collective approach?
The question I ask is, why doesn’t Linux have a world-class GUI, so the darn thing would be more friendly to app development!
Is it the Cathedral and Bazaar syndrome?

-Patrick Bonobo