[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Candidate Manifestos: 3 questions

Astrid Emde (OSGeo) astrid_emde at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 12 23:57:05 PDT 2017

Hello Gert-Jan,

thanks for your questions.

Am 2017-10-12 18:00, schrieb Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting
OSGeo.nl:
> Hi Board member candidates (and fellow voter members),
> = One to Astrid:
>
> Almost all of your objectives seem outreach-related (PR, OSGeo Live
> etc.)
>
> What  are the advantages of doing so as a Board member, instead of (or
> in addition to) begin a member of the recently revived Marketing
> Committee

Yes - you are right. I do a lot of outreach-work.

I am fine with the things that I already do and could go on like this or
could get more involved in other Committees. So I do not have to become
a member of the board. Maybe that would be the same for all nominees
somehow.

So I am also fine, not to be on the board.

On the other hand working on the board may be a good opportunity to get
a different perspective to OSGeo and to work & discuss in a team on some
goals and to support to get other people of OSGeo worldwide involved.

> = And one to all of you:
>
> Some of you talk about being an inclusive organization.
>
> For the geographical and probably cultural aspect of inclusiveness, do
> you think the Board should have it's roots in as much continents /
> languages as possible, so preferably 1 Board member from every
> continent (not counting for Antarctica, ha!)

There are different categories that you could use to classify the board
members - by continent, by gender, by topic, by technology, by language,
by ...

Sure it would be great to have a board with a great diversity. But maybe
with only 9 members on the board it won't be so easy. So maybe the focus
could be to have a board that works together well and makes productive
descissions and integrates the other members / chapters / projects of
OSGeo.

Astrid

--
Astrid Emde