[OSGeo-Discuss] Ideas for a future OSGeo Board

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 04:39:51 PDT 2017

Helmut,

Your question is good, and I only have a partial answer which extends on
Jody's response.

I feel that while people are comfortable to openly disagree on technical
concepts they feel very uncomfortable speaking ill of others on a
personal level.

Organically grown Open Source communities naturally form a hierarchy
around principles of Meritocracy and Do-ocracy. There is not need for
voting for positions, people naturally assume a role based on what they
are doing. Open Source communities are successful if they master
collaboration.

The concept of voting for positions, as we do in elections, is a concept
borrowed from command-and-control hierarchies, and I feel doesn't fit
well with our Open Source ethos. I could expand, but I think I've
written more than my quota on this email list for the moment.

Cheers, Cameron

On 15/10/17 12:54 pm, Jody Garnett wrote:
> I think Cameron described the reasoning, not wanting to disrupt
> relationships. Cameron is probably in an awkward position, as if often
> the case when people reach out privately, where he stuck determining
> if people are asking him to speak for them or they simply want someone
> to listen.
>
> OSGeo is an open and friendly community and we strive to have our
> communication and decision making in a transparent manner (the same
> standards we hold our project steering committees to during incubation).
>
> Nevertheless we have a number of private channels of communication in
> our organization, for example during charter member nominations there
> was an opportunity to contact the CRO privately if anyone was troubled
> by a nomination. During incubation we make a mentor available for
> private communication, as often there are legal questions to discuss.
> The projects have a private list for security vulnerabilities. The
> board also has a private email list which is useful for negotiating
> partner relationships.
>
> With respect to the board elections I really appreciate Gert-Jan's
> approach of asking candidates questions, it was illuminating, explored
> some important issues and gave everyone a chance to respond.
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 14 October 2017 at 15:14, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de
> <mailto:hellik at web.de>> wrote:
>
>     Cameron Shorter:
>     >I've had a number of people reach out to me privately, related to the
>     >upcoming OSGeo Board elections.
>
>     Cameron, any idea why a number of people aren't
>     articulating/communicating by themselves here on
>     the OSGeo discuss ML related to the upcoming OSGeo Board elections?
>
>     OSGeo, as I understand it, is an open and friendly community and
>     every discussion input is welcome.
>
>     kind regards
>     Helmut
>
>     OSGeo charter member