[OSGeo-Discuss] Costly FOSS4Gs

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Mon Oct 16 10:44:14 PDT 2017

Folks,

if we want to compete then we have to play the game. Party is great but
the money is not in the party and fun part. The money sits in large
corps and governments. Folks coming from there are not expected to party
or hang out and have fun. They are expected to see the bleeding edge
technology first hand, learn about the reliability of Open Source and
Free Software licensing and learn about the leading businesses in that
domain. Companies who choose to support FOSS4G with their sponsorship
and come to the global big business FOSS4G industry event. Honor them.
Honor those who organize those events. Consider paying them professional
rates instead of burning them out and then complain that they have left.

(Maybe to the disagreement of some) these kind of events function by
making things shine and excel. This includes a great venue, great
catering, inviting great paid speakers and award great awards at a great
gala dinner. Yawn. How I hate those events! Plus they are costly! Plus I
have to wear my (cat)suit! Yuck! But this is also why I always have worn
a suit when it was required (especially on Star Trek Voyager). No, I do
not consider myself a suit. But I wear one when it is required. There
are aspects of Free Software and Open Source where a suit is a door
opener. Condemn it, door closes.

The good thing is, we do not have to stop anything. We can and we
already are doing both. We have great local events and code sprints and
fun and party and all. Plus we have a one time per year event that is
expensive and attracts the money. Where is the problem? Don't like it?
Then don't go. Cannot afford it? Then promote it so that those who can
afford it go (and indirectly pay your pizza during the fun events). How
cool is that?

Honestly, FOSS4G "global" should stay (or become even more of) an
industry event. What do you think where the (admittedly tiny) OSGeo
budget comes from? It is the surplus generated by well organized,
efficient and shiny (plus fun) FOSS4Gs. This money is used to support
the pizza and coffee for local code sprints. Why on earth would anybody
in his or her right mind jeopardize or even criticize an event that
helps fund everything else we do?

Cheers,
Seven

(Founder, Charter Member, ex Director, President Emeritus of OSGeo and
grumpy old ex Borg drone)