[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] How to retire membership status?

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 14:58:19 PDT 2018

El vie., 22 jun. 2018 23:35, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
escribió:

> Maria, re the Code-of-Conduct, I agree with Christian. Rewriting it to
> create rules which consider all future opportunities for human conflict is
> utopian, impractical and ultimately unachievable.

I agree with that. But a static CoC is also impractical, considering that
in the last years CoCs have advanced a lot and now we know what works
better on each kind of organizations.

What I propose is to evolve, not to throw all the work already done. As I
already said on previous mails, the work done was outstanding for the time
it was written. Which may seem very recently but considering how much we
have advanced, is already old.

There have been a huge number of person-hours which have been put into the
> numerous Code-Of-Conducts which our OSGeo Code-Of-Conduct was based upon. I
> think we keep our Code-of-Conduct as simple as possible, and rely on our
> underlying morals, ethics, and collective intelligence to address concerns
> as they arise.

My plan is not to complicate it, but to make it stronger.

Let me give you one simple example of something that doesn't make sense
right now:

We cannot say dirty words, but we can harass someone using beautiful words
as long as we claim good intent. That doesn't make sense.

So, precisely one of the things you quote above as what we should do is one
of the things that are wrong.

This article can explain the situation better than me:
https://thebias.com/2017/09/26/how-good-intent-undermines-diversity-and-inclusion/

This would be the easiest thing to propose to change because once you
understand it, it becomes obvious. But there's more.