[OSGeo-Discuss] Application to accept GeoExt as a OSGeo Community Project

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Mon Aug 5 06:24:01 PDT 2019

Hi Andy,

Yes licensing with ExtJS is complicated.

Sencha release an Open Source version of ExtJS under GPL v3 and have a FAQ here [1]. It is availabe at this link [2]. Also from this page:

"Sencha’s current GPL policy for Ext JS is that major releases, such as 6.0, 7.0, and the first minor release immediately following a major release, such as 7.0.1, are available under GPL v3. All other releases, such as 6.5 and 6.5.1, are available to commercial license customers with current maintenance and support agreements."

>From [3] - "GeoExt3 is dual licensed. You will normally use it under GPLv3. If you own a Sencha ExtJS Commercial License, you have the right to use GeoExt3 under the BSD License."

The community edition is a commerical license for a company or organization with revenue up to $10,000 per year, so GeoExt in this case could be used under BSD. Premium releases contain additional functionality such as exporting grids to Excel not available in the GPL edition.

Regards,

Seth

[1] https://www.sencha.com/legal/open-source-faq/
[2] https://www.sencha.com/legal/gpl/