[OSGeo-Discuss] Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2023

Mark Iliffe markiliffe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:14:51 PST 2022

Hi Everyone,

I would like to start this email with the caveat, statement, and admission
that "*I am an idiot*" to ensure all are provided with the requisite
informed context.

The environmental concerns of holding a conference are immense, that we
would be reticent not to consider. I for one love this planet, as I happen
to be living on it and I quite like living. Living involves whiskey, dim
sum and chocolate. In short, I don't want to stop living because I doubt
those things will be in it.

To tell a story. I cried in an airport on 31 December. I had seen my
parents for the first time in a long time and was heading back 'home' to
NYC. I was listening to my very good friend Steven talk to my other good
friend Ivan on "The Politics of Geo
<https://podcasts.apple.com/be/podcast/ivan-sanchez-the-politics-of-geo/id1500132553?i=1000545491911>".
The emotion of hearing Ivan discuss the transitive relationships within the
nexus of economy, philosophy and geography provided an emotional crescendo
that I am sure made a few people quite uncomfortable. We are social beings
and we would be irresponsible not to take our community to where it can
have the maximum impact. I suspect we, in our own way, have had these
moments during these very challenging times over the past two years.

Through our work, we provide humanity with the very tools which will
provide its salvation. For example, through the efforts of FOSS4G in Dar es
Salaam (which was a privilege to co-chair with Msiliakle) from bringing the
largest (yet!) number of travel grant awardees to directly supporting an
FGM charity with resources to combat the horrid practice, we managed to
achieve something that would have simply been impossible virtually. It is
with pride that I note that one of our FOSS4G TGP awardees went on to
Keynote in Argentina. I write this as a past FOSS4G chair because of the
mentorship of our community. Others will come through our networking and
will go on to achieve more and drive more than we could have ever imagined.

We must undertake efforts to make sure that there is geographically
equitable representation to inspire and foster the next generation. We have
no choice but to do this in person, not due to exacting mental health costs
on us imposed by our current challenges, but to inspire the next and
undertake every effort to ensure that all are capable of participating. The
past two years have demonstrated the hard limit of our virtual world and we
do not have the time to wait for the next 5 billion to come and join us -
we must go out to meet them and embrace them where they are, not where we
are. To me, the question is not the environmental cost of convening a
FOSS4G, it would be the cost to humanity of not convening one.

But, then again, this is my personal opinion and I am an idiot.

Best,

Mark