[OSGeo-Discuss] Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2023

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Wed Jan 12 13:49:56 PST 2022

The problem with the social interaction arguments is the massive
environmental cost.

It's about 22,000 km round trip from either NW USA or West Europe to
Buenos Aires, Argentina for example.
Depending on the calculator you use, that's about 4 tonnes of CO2 for
the round trip. The world target by 2030 is 2.1 tonnes per capita (Page
XXV - UN Environment Programme report -
https://wedocs.unep.org/xmlui/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/34426/EGR20.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
). So that's about two-person years of CO2 emissions for a ~4 day
conference.

This is why I ask what actual benefits "networking" provides. It's not
part of an anti-social crusade, it's because "business as usual" for us
means "our grandparents screwed everything up for us" in a few
generations. Jetting around the planet has a real-world cost even if
it's one that's invisible to most of us right now.

We take our ability to jet around the globe by air for granted but
forget that just 90 years ago it was impossible. Literally. The (turbo)
jet hadn't been invented. And even today, the vast vast majority (> 90%,
probably much higher) of the world's population never fly in a given
year (
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/how-much-worlds-population-has-flown-airplane-180957719/
).

 > I think if a group of individuals[1], or several groups, want to put
forward proposals for the conference to be located in "Cyberspace"[2]
then that should not be disallowed, and then its up to the conference
committee to consider it fairly according to the criteria for selection.

On the surface, this is a good idea, but unfortunately it has a
fundamental problem:
There are no "criteria for selection" of the conference beyond "the
committee members voted for this proposal". There's zero transparency in
the process.

It strikes me that there is another advantage to the online setup, one
that solves a very real recurring problem of the in-person conferences:
Repeatability.
Currently every conference starts from scratch; the new LOC has to
figure everything out for themselves and all the knowledge from the old
LOC is lost (although they do usually try to help with the transition).
However, with an online conference, once the tooling is setup for the
first one it would seem the burden to create the later ones would be
much lower, and you'd benefit from possibly having some LOC members do
it multiple times allowing the transfer for institutional knowledge.

(And no, for a whole host of reasons, I'm not the person to put forth
any formal proposal)