[DotNet-OSGeo] Re: Regarding MapWindow/OSGeo DotNet 2011

Harold Dunsford hadunsford at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:31:28 EDT 2010

Obviously, assuming I can swing the whole time off situation or get it
approved as my work related travel, I'd enjoy these kinds of hard hitting
topics.  While I certainly believe the other developers can use this sort of
briefing, this third track content was very limited in its draw last
conference.  Previously we had a track for application users, (big
audience), for novice consumer-developers (big audience), and for framework
developers...which turned out to be just me sitting in a room talking to
like one other person, who was arguably lost.  I'm concerned that if Michael
gets deep enough to where the topics are really beneficial for someone like
me or other very experienced developers, they will be too deep to drum up
attendance from anyone else.  If he can tailor it for the consumer-developer
level it would probably be well attended.

We could certainly use a short steering committee meeting for issues that
cover future direction ideas, but it needs to be short because the members
of the steering committee tend to also be the presenters of content.  If you
hole them up in a room together, then the mob of raging fans has nothing to
do for that time.  So that either needs to happen as part of the super
collective, and treat the other attenders as audience members for a quick
future-directions discussion, allowing them to contribute ideas while
everyone is together, or it needs to happen as a meeting outside of the time
span of the main conference.  During the main conference hours, we should
cater to the needs of the general public more than to our own needs, which
can be handled by e-mail or conference calls or whatever.

It would be worth hosting at least one DotSpatial framework design strategy
session.  We now have considerably more members that are outside of the Dan
Ames lab that are actually contributing to framework design into the future,
as long as we can tear them away from getting distracted by parallel
sessions.  If we had such a thing, one idea would be to have each presenter
bring a 5 minute conversation starter prepared on their favorite topics to
bring the group up to speed.  The session could run more like a
brain-storming session, and less like a power-point presentation series, and
it should at most be a one hour session, since, once again the attendees are
probably critical presenters for other areas.  This might be better
organized as a "birds of a feather" style meeting over food or something,
and don't worry about having power points at all.

Anyway, those are just some ideas that are in my head right now.

Ted