[DotNet-OSGeo] RE: 3D Display

Carsten Troelsgaard troelsgaard53c at live.dk
Tue May 31 13:34:55 EDT 2011

ups

I think that you are spot on, Ted.

The quick zoom in/out gives another situation than a figure that moves (probably in a pre-destined direction) in a terrain... it should be possble to have some large-scale averaged mesh like a mipmap that can quickly kick in, when detail is not needed. The latest idea I got is a simple line-contour around neighbouring areas (or a very crude mesh) signifying that they have been loaded in the background [there are time for that when user watches] and can be clicked to be activated in detail. The image that Michael refers to is faceted .. I prefer it this way becourse a model should not be confused with a reality. The same can be said about the tiled approach above.

Carsten