[OSGeo-Edu] Restarting our conversations and collaborative efforts

Monika Rusztecka UNEP/GRID-Warszawa monika at gridw.pl
Sat Jul 10 09:55:50 EDT 2010

Dear Charlie, Dear List,

In the UNEP/GRID-Warsaw Centre we conduct project called EduGIS Academy
which aim is to promote use of the GIS tools in secondary schools for
environmental subjects (Geography, Biology).
As a result of whole project we will develop Guide for teachers in
Polish and English. Guide will include scenarios and working templates
for teachers and pupils referenced to school curricula. Of course
testing data and tools will be included. We focus on QGIS as a Desktop
GIS tool and Google Earth. Also some on-line tools are under our
interest (ESRI ArcGIS on-line but now we test it). Guidebook will be
completed in June 2011 but some examples will be ready much earlier.
They will be public.
Does any of you dear Educators have any experiences with GIS
at-secondary-schools approaches? I would love to share experiences in
that matter especially in the field of pupils’ key-qualifications in GIS
and ICT (also sometimes called GeoICT).

Set of educational exercises is available under CASCADOSS Project
website
(http://www.cascadoss.eu/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=28)
– Day 3 /Hands-on session – examples of use of GIS OSS for environmental
applications with LiveDVD  and the Workshop DVD.//
/Also, national resources from:
Poland
(http://www.cascadoss.eu/pl/index.php?title=Strona_g%C5%82%C3%B3wna),
Belgium (http://www.cascadoss.eu/be/index.php?title=Hoofdpagina) ,
Czech
(http://www.gisat.cz/content/cz/novinky/zpravy-z-gisatu/seminare-cascadoss)
and
Hungary (http://cascadoss.competterra.com/cascadoss.php?home)
are available.

Let me know if it is ok :) and I will add these resources to EDU-related
materials at OSGeo

With kind regards
Monika

Monika Rusztecka
Head of the GIS Unit
Environmental Information Centre UNEP/GRID-Warsaw
8 Sobieszynska Street, 00-764 Warsaw, Poland
phone: (+48 22) 840 6664 ext. 115; fax: (+48 22) 851 6201
e-mail: monika at gridw.pl, http://www.gridw.pl