[El] EL and Oracle Spatial

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Oct 24 05:38:07 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Peter Hopfgartner
<peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com> wrote:
> I think that sooner or later every GIS professional will have to handle with Oracle Spatial.

No, I don't think so.

> Should we provide packages for this?

I am not very sure since OSGeo focuses on the OSGeo software stack.
I am all for being compliant and interoperable but not very interested
in supporting proprietary software via OSGeo channels.

> Oracle provides RPM packages for the client side
> (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index.html).
> We would have to recompile some packages to enable Oracle Spatial
> support in order to support Oracle Spatial reasonably well.

I would leave this moreover to companies who offer commercial support for
OSGeo software rather than offer it via OSGeo infrastructure.

My 0.02 Eurocents,
Markus