[Europe] Activities towards a "European Geospatial Software Institute" ?

Dirk Frigne dirk at osgeo.org
Thu Jul 19 06:25:13 PDT 2018

Thank you Peter for addressing the attention on this topic.

I am not into the details of Fabspace 2.0, but at first sight this could
be something to investigate in relation to your question:

December 2017, UJI joined Fabspace 2.0 network (www.fabspace.eu). In few
words "FabSpace 2.0 aims at making Universities open innovation centres
for their region and at improving their contribution to the
socio-economic and environmental performance of societies by exploiting
Earth Observation data and geospatial information [...] by creating a
research collaborative environment" . "FabSpace 2.0 is an international
project carried out within the Horizon 2020 Program financed by the
European Union. Its goal is to create innovative applications and
services using open spatial data and geo-information technologies."

It would be good to try to get an overview of all European initiatives
and discuss which could be the strategy for OSGeo Europe to follow.

Dirk