[fdo-internals] Raster Catalogs (aka Tileindexes)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 25 12:55:13 EST 2007

Jason Birch wrote:
> ------------
> I would like to help the webstudio guys add raster support including
> building the config doc.  It should be pretty easy.
> ------------
>
> My concern with this would be those of us who are using MapGuide Studio
> with MapGuide Open Source.  If you are going to do this, could you
> please consider making it modular enough that I could easily adapt it to
> a standalone page that generates the config file, creates a new
> unmanaged raster data source, and uploads the config file into the
> resource content?

Jason,

I was assuming that the Studio developers would be doing something for
generating this config file in studio.  Actually, I have no idea how people
normally create these config files.

Having said earlier that creating the config file should be easy, I must
confess that on sober second thought I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to
approach it.  The GDAL PHP bindings and I'm not sure we want Web Studio
having a dependency on GDAL PHP bindings anyways.

In theory I suppose Web Studio can use FDO itself to get the bounds for
individual files and then build the config file based on that.  I presume
that is what Studio does?

So, I find myself backing off a bit and thinking perhaps I would offer
an output switch for my existing gdaltindex program that would provide
XML config files instead of shapefiles.