[Featureserver] OpenLayers+FeatureServer full transactional example

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jun 23 09:27:54 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:31:52AM -0700, Josh Livni wrote:
> Hey Alexandre,
> I'm late to this thread, and on a place now w/no web access or copies of FS
> on this laptop to try verify what you've been testing.  However, a few
> things:
>  - The OL code in FeatureServer is, I believe, fairly old.  I would not
> count on anything that is done there ( eg OpenLayers.Ajax.Request instead of
> protocol.commit()) as being the latest/best way to take advantage of OL.

Correct.

>  - As you note, to delete features I think FS will take a POST request with
> method=DELETE.

I don't think so. This is an old Prototype AJAXis.

>  - Can you tell us how you are running FS?  Via mod-wsgi?  as a cgi?
>  - What DataSource are you using (eg PostGIS?)
>  - Finally, can you paste in the exact POST data you are sending (Eg from
> firebug, your curl command, or whatnot), and associated URL when trying to
> delete?

Of note:
 1. The OpenLayrs proxy does not support PUT or DELETE. You will need to
    find another way to proxy, or find a way to not use a proxy.
 2. The basic HTTP protocol in OpenLayers is not designed to support
     FeatureServer trivially. It can be done, but rquires extra work.
 3. MapFish has a protocol that htey use that is likely to work better.
    I recommend looking into it. The MapFish serve is very similar to
    the FeatureServer protocol.
 4. Not all DataSources are alike (hence Josh's question). Some may
    not fully support delete.

I generally consider "How can I use FeatureSever with OpenLayers" to be
beyond the scope of FeatueServer's documentation rquirements. I'm happy
to have people discuss it here, and there probably isn't a better place,
but FS is docced to make the simple things simple. The hard things are
your problem.  :)

In any case where I have needed update/delete suppot, I've written it at
the application level.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt