[OSGeo Finance] QGIS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 1 11:51:05 EDT 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> OSGeo itself doesn't make any further decisions for how to QGIS project
> funds, since they belong to the project itself and are available for the
> QGIS project committee to deal with accordingly.

Tyler / Paolo,

I would only add the caveat that OSGeo might deny some uses of the
funds since we would be legally responsible.  So nothing illegal, and
potentially we would deny uses that appear to be unrelated to the
project goals (ie. repair Gary's roof).  But generally speaking it is
up to the PSC to make clear decisions on spending and notify Tyler for
dispersement.

> As you know, the current funds were transferred from Gary's bank account
> to OSGeo's account for holding.  The funds were to be used in accordance
> with the Project Sponsorship programme.  Can you clarify the current
> state of QGIS Project Sponsorship - what is the plan?  As Frank noted
> earlier, if the project plans to continue to use the OSGeo Project
> Sponsorship programme, then I believe it will need to do so a bit more
> officially - for example from:

The project isn't officially in the sponsorship program unless it makes
an appropriate motion to that effect.  And involvement includes a
variety of additional responsibilities (annual reports to sponsors for
instance).  So while we might loosely treat the funds under similar
rules as project sponsorship funds, it isn't technically participating
yet.  I'd add the sponsorship program does not support contributions
less than $500 primarily to limit the number of sponsors to which
reports need to be made managable, and to avoid having too many
small transactions for Tyler to execute.

(/me reads on and realizes that Tyler essentially already said this!)

The official document governing the project sponsorship program is:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship

Best regards,