[OSGeo Finance] Budget - how to reach closure for the board?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 2 18:01:00 EST 2008

Ken Tamura wrote:
> 2.  The budget should factor in the FOSS4G event revenue AND expenses.
> Based upon past performance, this generally nets a profit.  However, maybe
> conservatively this nets event.  Is there a committee for this event that
> can provide an estimate?

Ken,

The current amount (20K) is based on the preliminary budget proposal from
the FOSS4G 2009 Local Organizing Committee.  I have consulted with Tyler
who indicates the current *conservative* budget from the LOC is to lose
$83K AUS.  I presume this is more reflective of a worst case scenario
rather than a conservative one and  I have sought an update for our
budget from the FOSS4G 2009 LOC.

> 3.  Revenue forecasting targets are challenging, but necessary.  Generally
> Board members are responsible, along with the ED, for raising funds during
> the year.  They will need to affirm this role.

Yes, this has been discussed at the board level.  It remains to be seen
whether we as a board can deliver sponsors, but it has at least been
accepted as a board responsibility.

> 4.  One revenue stream that has not been considered is government grants.  I
> have to believe that this could be a revenue stream that covers more than
> one year.  Someone will need to commit time to write up the applications.
> Maybe this is a focus this year to get at least one grant, however with no
> budget forecast of revenue this year.

I have no idea how to make this happen or even what government grants we
would be likely to qualify for.  For this reason I am hesitant to include
it in the income projections even though I'd love to have such a
think actually materialize.

I'm interested in suggestions on what grant programs we might be a
respectable candidate for.

Best regards,