[OSGeo Finance] Budget - how to reach closure for the board?

Ken Tamura ken.tamura at autodesk.com
Tue Dec 2 17:20:35 EST 2008

Here are my suggestions:

1.  Review only the expense areas that are variable (the rest are fixed and have less ability to adjust).  In these areas we should confirm that these are reasonable and necessary amounts.

2.  The budget should factor in the FOSS4G event revenue AND expenses.  Based upon past performance, this generally nets a profit.  However, maybe conservatively this nets event.  Is there a committee for this event that can provide an estimate?

3.  Revenue forecasting targets are challenging, but necessary.  Generally Board members are responsible, along with the ED, for raising funds during the year.  They will need to affirm this role.

4.  One revenue stream that has not been considered is government grants.  I have to believe that this could be a revenue stream that covers more than one year.  Someone will need to commit time to write up the applications.  Maybe this is a focus this year to get at least one grant, however with no budget forecast of revenue this year.

Ken Tamura
Geospatial Solutions of Autodesk, Inc.
415-547-2114 (w)    415-299-1704 (c)