[OSGeo Finance] Marketing Budget complete

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 11 16:18:08 EST 2008

Hi all,

The marketing committee debated, modified and approved their budget
breakdown [1] at our meeting yesterday. [2] We had some good debate,
a couple common items came up.

For now the budget shows general categories, more detailed workplans
for each project will be developed as we start to tackle them.  In
some cases we don't have enough details for "how" something will be
done or "how much" we can do until someone takes responsibility and
pursues learning more.

We also included a general idea in which quarter of the calendar the
funding will be spent, so you can have an inkling of cash flow
issues.  Generally speaking it's 50/50 split between first and last
half of the year, but many will be spread out over the entire year.
I don't anticipate any large expenditures for the next few months
though.  Several items can be scaled up/down depending on funding
availability, so I see it as a flexible budget that we will revise if
the need arises.

It was observed that with the broad mandate and items to be addressed
by the Marketing Committee, this amount of funding is not
superfluous.  We hope that it will be enough to get a few strong
projects completed and getting a good start on a few others.

The question of web site development/updates was also discussed.
There is interest in having access to the unused $10k that was
budgeted for this purpose for 2008.  If that became available, we
would find a way to use it.  Or should we just consider that the this
unused item was already rolled into our $50k for 2009?

Hope this is useful, we're looking forward to getting on with the tasks!

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Meeting_2008.12.11#Minutes
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Budget_2009

Tyler