[ForestryTools] Forestry-Toolkit Structure

Lee muellerl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 14:13:28 PDT 2013

I'm not sure the list will accept attachments, but let's give this a go.

I've put together a simple "project map" on how I see the toolkit's
workflow, at least in my head. I'm looking for feedback and consensus
moving forward.

I tried to use colors within the idea map to describe another level of
thinking. I'm not sure how much it worked, but here's the descriptor.

Yellow - User input / handled externally.
Blue - Internal to Forestry Toolkit
Green - Output
No color - Handled completely outside QGIS/Forestry-Toolkit

Essentially, the blue boxes are the operations/utilities we need to build
within Forestry-toolkit. I've tried to use brackets to describe where some
of these codes or operations might already partially exist.

For example, in reality, we could just force the user to do their plot
generation within F-tools. That said, I find F-tools largely inadequate for
generating the appropriate plots. It's just not simple or straight-forward
enough to use for most forestry aspects. Which is fine, since it wasn't
made for that purpose. So we could probably use the  F-tools code, refine
it, and put it in Forestry-Toolkit for plot generation.

So, to dissect what's happening:
1. The user takes a forest parcel and uses Forestry-Toolkit to generate
inventory plots.
2. The user goes and collects the information in the field.
3. The user enters the data into an excel spreadsheet or other format which
will output a CSV.
4. Forestry toolkit will connect Plot ID between the plot shapefile and
inventory CSV. The data will inherit a stand ID from the stand shapefile
(spatial join).
6. Forestry Toolkit will run inventory data for each stand.

Is this making sense? Is this what we want to do? Is there something we
should adjust? For you software guys, is this the best way of doing it?

Basically, do we want to move forward with this "design" and better assign
some tasks?

Let's come to a consensus. I'm trying to facilitate, not lead.

--
All the best,
Lee