[FOSS-GPS] Building FoxtrotGPS from BZR repository

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Apr 19 09:59:09 EDT 2010

----- "Risto H. Kurppa" <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:
> This is what you need to run to pull the source code of foxtrotGPS
> (see http://www.foxtrotgps.org) and build it. The instructions are
> made for Ubuntu 10.04 but should work on any *buntu or maybe even all
> Debian-based distros, depending on package names and versions..
>
> First let's install all the packages that are needed to work with the
> Bazaar Version Control System we use, and compile the code with all
> dependencies.
>     sudo apt-get install bzr build-essential autoconf automake
> pkg-config gconf2 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libexif-dev libsqlite3-dev
> libgconf2-dev libtool libgtk2.0-dev libxml2 libxml2-dev intltool
>
> Now you can grab a copy of our current shared codebase
>     bzr branch http://www.foxtrotgps.org/branches/foxtrotgps-dev/
>
> Enter the new foxtrotgps-dev folder
>     cd foxtrotgps-dev

This may not be *quite* it.  On SuSE 11.0, in addition to the necessary
-devel RPMs, which included libexif-devel, I had to run intltoolize (without
--force, though it complained I might need it), before the next step:

> Because much of the familiar GNU-style build-infrastructure is
> autogenerated from templates, and we want to avoid maintaining many
> autogenerated files in bzr source code repository, you'll need to
> `bootstrap' via the autoreconf command, e.g.:
>     autoreconf --install --symlink --verbose
>
> That will produce the infrastructure for the familiar GNU-style
> build-procedure:
>     ./configure
>     make
>
> And that's it! Now you can run FoxtrotGPS with
>    src/foxtrotgps

I'm going to check into the build a script called (amazingly enough) 'build'
with all the steps in it, including the necessary package pulls; it's always
irritated me that packages don't do this -- as much as anything because when
a year from now you decide you want to rebuild it, it's nice to have a
record of your configure options, and this gives you a place to put it.

Yes, I know, meta atop the meta.

I just think that if you have to type more than one word to build the package,
someone's done something wrong.  ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra

    Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
     Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.