[FOSS-GPS] New LoRa Radios- low power, SUPER range

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 01:09:20 PST 2015

Anybody seen the new LoRa stuff?  I know of SemTech and HopeRF so far.
Cheap and they're already offering assembled, integrated modules.

They're low-power, but CRAZY long range.  Supposed to be literally miles
in URBAN environments.  As best I can tell it's due to some super
high-gain amps, sensitivity to -148dbm.  Models do differ though.

This sounds really handy for RTK communication with a beacon .  I'm
getting a few of these to try out.

So there's 433MHz, 868 MHz, and 915MHz.  Any reason to choose one over
another?  I know 2.4GHz is supposed to be a problem because it can't
penetrate trees well like 900MHz does, but the 868 MHz and 915  MHz are
basically 900 MHz.  433 MHz, I have no idea how that performs,
relatively speaking.

Danny