[FOSS-GPS] Foxtrotgps shows sometimes openstreetmap.org maps on screen

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 17 01:09:40 PST 2023

Hmm, Fred, I cannot find my gps mouse so cannot run gpsd. But I just
installed gpsd and seems I was wrong, no group gpsd. But there is a gpsd
user. Now, thats the user who should be launching gpsd, not root. If you
have a gpsd plugged in, see if you can see that process -

ps aux | grep gpsd

and look to see who the user is.

Might be worth checking /run/gpsd, that is gpsd's 'home' directory and
where it will drop state files. If there are files in there, who owns them ?

Seems that gpsd talks over d-bus or some shared memory model, D-Bus is
pretty reliable but the shared memory model may be very user sensitive.
Honestly, IDK.

David