[FOSS-GPS] Foxtrotgps shows sometimes openstreetmap.org maps on screen

Fred Mobach fred at mobach.nl
Thu Nov 16 11:33:22 PST 2023

On Thursday, November 16, 2023 11:41:23 AM CET David Bannon via FOSS-GPS
wrote:
> Fred, my opinion may not be very valuable as I have not used Foxtrot for
> some time. But, two suggestions :
>
> * Firstly, by running a program like this as root, you may have caused a
> whole lot of files in fred's space to be owned by root. When you then
> run as fred, you find that fred cannot write to those files. Its just
> about never a good idea to run a user space GUI app as root.

Running as root was just to test if the problem was also there, but it wasn't.
Please note that the problem arose when foxtrotgps had always been run under
the user fred. Additionally I've checked alle subdirectories under the user
fred but all files are owned by the user fred.

> * Second, from memory, gpsd runs as the user gpsd. For fred to be able
> to read gpsd's data, fred probably needs to be in the gpsd group. Can
> you check that please, maybe look to see if there is a gpsd user and
> group, if so, is fred also a member of the gpsd group ? They these
> commands as user fred -
>
> $> cat /etc/group | gpsd <enter>

The gpsd doesn't appear in the file /etc/groups.

Nevertheless thanks for your help, I appreciate that.

Fred Mobach