[FOSS-GPS] Foxtrotgps shows sometimes openstreetmap.org maps on screen

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 16 02:41:23 PST 2023

Fred, my opinion may not be very valuable as I have not used Foxtrot for
some time. But, two suggestions :

* Firstly, by running a program like this as root, you may have caused a
whole lot of files in fred's space to be owned by root. When you then
run as fred, you find that fred cannot write to those files. Its just
about never a good idea to run a user space GUI app as root.

* Second, from memory, gpsd runs as the user gpsd. For fred to be able
to read gpsd's data, fred probably needs to be in the gpsd group. Can
you check that please, maybe look to see if there is a gpsd user and
group, if so, is fred also a member of the gpsd group ? They these
commands as user fred -

$> cat /etc/group | gpsd <enter>

$> groups <enter>

David