[FOSS4G-Oceania] Governance

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 15:35:59 PST 2018

Thanks Adam, great input.

It sounds like you might be proposing an alternative model, along the lines
of: the current committee hands over to a new committee, which is the team
identified in the Wellington proposal, and this new committee is
responsible for organising the conference and any governance issues. Does
this sound right?

If so, I see it as a perfectly valid model we should consider in addition
to the proposal in the doc.

I will say, though, that I see some disadvantages to that approach:
- I think ongoing governance takes on greater importance if & when we
consider additional activities beyond an annual conference. The 2018
committee has raised governance issues from time to time over the year, but
we never had the bandwidth to take these on until post-event, and I suspect
a 2019 committee would face similar difficulties.
- We've identified a few significant outstanding issues in regard to
forming an entity, determining a process for membership, and determining a
process for future rotation of events. I'd see it as quite onerous for a
committee to deal with these issues while organising a conference.

Part of the idea of forming a board + conf committee is efficiency -
running this conference in 2018 required a huge amount of work on
everyone's parts, when added to the work of building an organisation. The
process for planning and running future conferences could be made much more
sustainable (ie. not requiring people to take months off of work). By
having a board for governance and continuity, and a conf committee (ie.
LOC) for running the main show, we hopefully gain a division of labour that
spreads the work load across more people.

Anyway - I'm super happy to be having this discussion, I think there are
plenty of ways we could do this, and finding the balance between too much
bureaucracy and not enough forward thinking is tricky.

jb