[FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: Governance

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 00:55:54 PST 2018

Hey John

Thanks for expanding your thoughts there - and your suggestion as guidance
to the board is great. I feel it could be a little stronger - for example
to let the LoC do things the board doesn’t understand, or take reasonable
risks from time to time (like we did). We’d love to avoid cookie cutter
events I think. And ultimately, as long as communications are strong, there
will be no issues at all (lack of comms would be a clear reason for
intervention, for example).

It’s up to the LoC to convince the board to take risks - and up to the
board to let the LoC pursue an event that fits the LoC’s intent. So it’s
somewhat circular. Bearing in mind that post-2019, the LoC will have
tendered a strong and convincing concept to the Board by the time they’re
‘blessed’ to run the event (like the current round of 2020 FOSS4G bids:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2018-December/thread.html
).

I’ll spend more time in listen/think/suggest mode with the governance doc
this week.

Cheers