[FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: Governance

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Dec 10 14:52:32 PST 2018

HI all,
I have been keeping away from chipping too much into this discussion, as governance is not my strong point ( and I do like a bit of anarchy, but…). SO here a brief chip in.
I strongly support Alex’s and John’s points. I think the guidelines, or bylaws or whatever, are here to guide us in the bad times, not in the good times. I would not worry about an overzealous steering committee – I think anyone who wants to be involved hands on would be on a LoC anyway.

I think the point of the steering committee is :

  *   Continuity and transfer of knowledge
  *   Financial oversight, as a means to assure the community their money is spent wisely, and any surplus ( not profit) is re-invested either in the next conference, or the community (immediately – as a means to achieve participation of disadvantaged/underrepresented groups – or in the data and software projects themselves, judiciously). I agree with the points of Alex here, although maybe we do not need a hard $ limit on the decisions, but one that will be set for any instance of the conference by the steering committee, in agreement with the LoC.

I think that if we peg in a rotating membership ( for at least apart of the Steering committee) of the poast, current and next Conference chairs, any miscommunications will be minimal and if they would happen, this would be a clear indication something is amiss.

Thanks,
Martin