[FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: Governance

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:43:12 PST 2018

Hey folks

Perhaps the one thing that needs to be concrete is the financial
delegation, or approval guidelines.

So, for example, approval of the conference budget should be with the
Board. Delivery of the budget is the CC. Spending that is less than, say,
$1,000 that is within the agreed budget is the CC’s responsibility,
anything greater needs the treasurer’s sign off or potentially approval by
the Board.

There needs to be wording around agreed budgets, as a budget should aim for
a reasonable surplus, and if its looking like exceeding that greed surplus,
then there’s discretion around spending on extras, as we did. But if the
budget isn’t likely to exceed the agreed target, there shouldn’t be
optional extra spending....

This process ensures that the group that is responsibility for financial
longevity is in the loop when it comes to big financial decisions, while
the group running the event is empowered to make decisions still.

Other than that, I can only think of guiding statements really, and each
individual conference committee gets to make their stamp on process and
format.

Cheers,

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 8:25 am, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, all makes sense. I agree that strong communications should resolve
> any tension there.
>
> I think you're dead right re: the relationship between a strong conference
> proposal/concept and more independence, will be something we can evolve
> towards. If we can use a statement of guidance to the board in this first
> iteration, I hope it will serve the immediate purpose and leave us room to
> grow.
>
> One key point is that we don't set any stalemate traps by leaving too much
> vagueness in the lines of reporting. To actually delegate authority to the
> committee, it seems like we would need to get quite detailed about how this
> would work ie. lots of what ifs.
>
> My feeling is that *formal* authority would only need to be invoked if
> *informal* authority isn't cutting the mustard... if we focus on
> nurturing a strong & healthy & engaged community, perhaps we can keep the
> need for formal authority at bay.
>
> I've added the guidance statement to the doc so we can consider whether it
> meets the need. Have at 'er!
>
> Cheers
> John

Alex Leith