[FOSS4G-Oceania] 10 days to go! Update, committee movements, and help wanted

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 21:11:30 PST 2018

Hi all,

It has been a very busy few weeks of pulling logistics together, with
plenty of loose ends being tied up, many boxes being ticked. For those of
you actively involved with these logistics, you'll be particularly aware of
the parts you're working on, but for others there may be an air of mystery
around what's happening.

To try and keep everyone informed, here's a very brief rundown on some
items you may not be aware of:

*A/V*: I will be doing a site visit with our Uni A/V tech (Isabel) and our
hired videographer (Neil) on Wednesday afternoon, to do a final check of
equipment and rooms, and answer some outstanding questions about the tech.
We've booked extra microphone kits through AVMelbourne so that we'll have
enough mics in the rooms for all sessions.

*Registration*: current rego #s are 224 conf, 182 workshops, 115 dinner, 75
Community Day. We need to make our best guess at the final numbers for
catering this week (conf #s on Mon, dinner #s on Wed).

*Welcome messages*: We have a short video welcome message from MarĂ­a Arias
de Reyna, president of OSGeo. We'll play it at the conference welcome, but
you can get a sneak preview here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeRLecyvDtU>. We're waiting on one from
Kate Chapman (OSMF chair) as well.

*Sponsorship*: Adam has done a great job of allocating tables and helping
the sponsors get what they need. We'll have some rental dividers delivered
to the Old Arts Building for their use. One of our sponsors (Carto) can't
make the conference, so their partner NGIS will be taking their place in
the exhibition hall.

I'm sure there are 100 other things I'm forgetting, anyone please chime in
and add to this if you can think of anything worth updating on.

To coordinate our movements during the week to some degree, and to try and
make sure we have key activities covered, I've started a Logistics Schedule
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14SUaF8x3FMHq5bnGIpVXI7a-sB-yYilzUi-YZdwlytc/edit#gid=0>
sheet with activities, times, locations, and which committee members will
be there & available to help with stuff. It's a private sheet for committee
use, not visible to the public. *If you don't mind, take 2 minutes, jump in
there and mark your name against the items you'll be attending*, just to
help eliminate some of the guesswork. If you think of anything that's
missing, feel free to add it in.

A few outstanding items that would be great to get some help on:

*BoF planning* - can someone please put their hand up to coordinate this?
It has come up a few times, and the general message I've heard is "it's
easy, there's nothing to it". But of course, if we actually do nothing
about it, then nothing will happen. I would love it if someone could put
their hand up to make this happen. We will have a whiteboard available for
signups, and we have rooms we can use. Just need someone to pull the
threads together.

*Photos *- it would be great to have a nice set of photos from the day.
There are many ways to do it, from having dedicated photographers to asking
people to upload photos somewhere to gathering them from social media.
There are licence implications of course, would be nice to have photos with
a permissive licence so we can use them freely in future. If someone can
think of a good way to make this happen, and (importantly) *do the work* to
make it happen, that would be wonderful.

*Post-conf surveys* - has come up a few times here and there in our
discussions, there is obviously tremendous value in getting feedback from
our attendees and sponsors. Quite a bit of the work has been done here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KSrds5SvNF2L0xbuR7gNQHjdHIJv6PJJYzpAXs70utc/edit#heading=h.2b72jxoggl6b>.
It would probably make sense to have this ready to go before the conference
so we can do it immediately after, when it's still fresh in people's minds.
Would someone be willing to organise this and see this through?

Of course, if anyone has any questions at all, please fire away...

Talk soon,
John