[FOSS4G-Oceania] Opening/closing remarks

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 14:45:18 PST 2018

Thanks Alex & Cameron, well-timed as I'm working on these this weekend. I'm
humbled by this task, and while speaking in public actually fills me with
horror, I feel comforted by the support of this committee and the goodwill
of the community.

Alex, if you're happy with this, I'd like your help with the opening
address, specifically a 2-3 minute section addressing the program
(workshops/conf/Community Day).

Good thoughts on the story of the journey, I will probably want to give
these a light touch in the opening address, with a bit more depth in the
closing.

Also in the closing, we should touch on the future of the conference. If
there's a 2019 announcement to make, great, let's do that, and if that
announcement can be helped by someone with direct involvement in the 2019
event, even better :)

Anyway, I'm pulling my thoughts together on this now & over the next couple
of days, so if anyone has thoughts or advice, they're very welcome. Cameron
I'll probably take you up on your offer of review.

For everyone's info, here's a brief outline in the Proceedings doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15N4gmI09OnHTrY5GdAxg4_4ZSyz69rLtev4JShZmWcQ/edit#>
(work
in progress). Comments & suggestions on that are welcome.

Thanks
John