[FOSS4G-Oceania] Letter of Intent to host FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 in Wellington, NZ

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:43:05 PST 2018

Hi all, my only problem with wellington is that it isn’t anywhere near the
southern alps, and isn’t likely to be held in early spring :D

Great proposal. I echo John’s thoughts about capacity. It’s fantastic to
have NZ govt agencies willing to support!

Also, chalk me in to help out!

Adam

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 22:37, Trisha Moriarty <moriar1y at gmail.com> wrote:

> Daniel,
> I would like to be involved in some form, and in the short term  I would
> be more then happy to share what we have learnt from running the workshops
> with the new committee/workshop lead.
> Trisha
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 8:06 PM Daniel Silk <dwsilk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are three venues I'd like to consider more thoroughly before making
>> a final decision:
>>
>> Tiakiwai at the National Library - brand new 170 capacity theatre +
>> breakout rooms
>> Soundings Theatre at Te Papa Tongawera (Museum of New Zealand) - 328
>> capacity theatre with a lot of other spaces
>> <https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/visit/venues/te-papa-venues-conferences-functions-and-meeting-rooms>
>> Pipitea Campus of Victoria University of Wellington - recently renovated
>> with a 300 seat lecture theatre and another 6 theatres between 50-150, the
>> campus also includes one of the largest wooden buildings in the world, the
>> historic Government Buildings.
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 3:58 PM John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Amazing work Daniel, this looks great to me. I love the idea of having
>>> the event in New Zealand next year, and I'm confident it would be a huge
>>> success. I'll be keen to help out as much as I can, once I've recovered
>>> from this year :)
>>>
>>> I have a question. It seems likely that an event in Wellington would
>>> attract a smaller audience than one in Melbourne, due to a smaller
>>> population in the immediate area. However, we also underestimated demand
>>> for this year's event, and we're a bit tight on space. The provisional
>>> venue in your letter sounds like it has a limit of 170 for plenary sessions
>>> in the auditorium. Would you see having some kind of contingency plan in
>>> case registrations exceed that number?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> John

Dr. Adam Steer